Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Zucchini Muffins



I am a huge fan of quick breads. I love their versatility and the speed with which they can be made. These zucchini muffins are one of my favorites. My 2 1/2 year old son has never had sugar, so I like to make these for him as a treat. He loves them. I have made them many many times with perfect results, using maple syrup as the sweetener. This time I used molasses, and I was not quite as happy with the results - they took a lot longer to bake, and browned too quickly. Next time, I'll use a foil tent to slow the browning down... Nevertheless, they're very tasty muffins.





Zucchini Muffins     adapted from Heaven's Banquet by Miriam Hospodar

2 cups grated drained zucchini
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup maple syrup or molasses
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup raisins or chopped dates
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)


Preheat oven to 350. Butter and lightly flour muffin pan. Mix together zucchini, butter and sugar. In a separate bowl, mix together flours, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to butter mixture along with buttermilk and mix until flour mixture is incorporated. Stir in raisins/dates and nuts. Spoon batter into muffin pan, leaving ample room for muffins to rise. Bake until lightly browned and tester comes out clean. 



I use this cookbook all the time, and everything I've ever made from it has been fabulous. I highly recommend it! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis