Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Daring Bakers: Strudel


My first Daring Bakers challenge!!!

I almost didn't make it, as it seemed a little intimidating and I wasn't sure I had the time, but stretching the dough was too intriguing to pass up, and I'm glad I went ahead and made it. The dough was fast and easy to make, and the stretching was really fun. I had no problems getting it paper thin, and I had no issues with it tearing. 

Unfortunately, the filling was another story. I realized towards the end of my dough-making that I wasn't sure what to do for a filling. I was running short on time, so I just started throwing things in a bowl: strawberries, currants, ground oats, pistachios, almonds, and a little maple syrup and salt. I think it without the oats it would have been good - or with less - but it ended up tasting too much like oatmeal.

I would really like to try a savory version, hopefully in the next week or so.

The May Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Linda of make life sweeter! and Courtney of Coco Cooks. They chose Apple Strudel from the recipe book Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague by Rick Rodgers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis