Monday, June 29, 2009

BBA Challenge: Brioche


The next bread to come along in The Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is brioche. 

Brioche is a wonderfully rich French bread, and we had three versions to choose from: Rich Man's, Middle Class and Poor Man's. The difference in them being their butter content. I went middle of the road with the Middle Class (which still contains a none too shabby 1/2 pound of butter! Yikes!)

This was a really fun and easy bread to make. The dough is made in the mixer, then refrigerated overnight to harden the butter enough to make it workable. It is then formed into loaves or brioche a tete (pictured). Clearly, I need a little practice shaping my brioche a tete, but I'm certain I'll get it, because this bread was delicious and I'll definitely be making it again! It was delicious, and my son loved it. 

I should add that the recipe called for 2 tablespoons of sugar and I replaced it with agave. Since it was such a small quantity, I didn't alter the amounts of any of the other ingredients.



2 comments:

  1. Look at how cool your brioches look with their little tetes! I'll include you in the brioche roundup (probably next week). Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so nice, I think I should go and try some of this size and shape. I only made loaves so I could compare the three tastes, but seeing your little tetes makes me want to make a batch of them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis