Friday, September 18, 2009

Brown Butter Blondies


I have recently discovered that I love blondies. Love them. I have to restrain myself from making them too often, however, because they somehow disappear within mere hours after coming out of the oven. I have no idea how that happens...

Something else I love is brown butter. It makes everything better as far as I'm concerned. So, when a craving hit for blondies the other night, I thought I'd change them up a little and add some brown butter to them. I also used palm sugar in place of brown sugar so my son could eat them.

The result was delicious. And, as predicted, they didn't even last 24 hours...

Blondies

1/2 cup butter, browned
1 cup palm sugar (or dark brown sugar)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unbleached white flour

Preheat oven to 350. Butter and lightly flour an 8x8 pan. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the brown butter and palm sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk until well combined. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined*. Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack.

*At this point, you could also add 1/3 cup chocolate chips, nuts, etc... Also tasty is to sprinkle them on the top of the batter before baking. I didn't add anything to this batch so my son could eat them.




5 comments:

  1. That last shot makes me a believer. I love the color and the bits of swirlyness to it. Fairly certain that is not a word, but I like it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made blondies... nor have I ever eaten one, come to think of it! That's a darn shame, and it needs to be rectified. With these. Thanks!

    Cheers,

    *Heather*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had great luck with blondies but yours look so good they make me reconsider. Brown butter does make everything better and I bet it's terrific in these treats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just made these with regular sugar, and they still taste/look great! The brown butter smelled sooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis