Tuesday, October 27, 2009

TWD: Sweet Potato Biscuits (one week late)


We're biscuit people, my family. I grew up eating them every Sunday along with fried green tomatoes and cheese grits. We never celebrate a birthday or holiday without biscuits, and will use pretty much any excuse to whip up a batch. I was so intrigued and excited about making these Sweet Potato Biscuits, but things kept getting in the way.

This week we were supposed to make a brownie torte, but I failed to read the recipe until 9:00 last night, at which point I realized that I was missing several key ingredients. So, I thought I'd make the biscuits that I was unable to make last week.

I knew from reading people's blogs that there were problems with the dough coming together, and with the biscuits rising. I used fresh sweet potato that I baked then mashed, and just under a cup was nowhere near enough moisture in my dough. I added about 2/3 cup of heavy cream a little at a time until my dough came together. It worked perfectly!

These biscuits were fluffy and delicious, though I must say, I kept thinking there was cheese in them because of their orange color and the little flecks of sweet potato, and I was confused every time I took a bite. The sweet potato flavor is not terribly strong, though it is there. They are barely sweet, and delicious just as they are, though my son enjoyed a couple fresh out of the oven with a little honey drizzled on them. Next time I make them I'll add more nutmeg, because I couldn't really taste it and I wanted to.

Thanks to Erin of Prudence Pennywise for this delicious - not to mention quick and easy - choice. You can find the biscuit recipe on her blog.

I'll try to make this week's torte before next Tuesday...


8 comments:

  1. I would love one right now slathered in butter and topped with a piece of country ham!! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your biscuit looks wonderful. So light and fluffy. Glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your biscuits look perfect. Nice and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to your tip, I'll make sure to have plenty of moisture in my dough next time. I know what you mean about the color being a little confusing - but the taste was sooo good. The sweet potato flavor of mine really came through, probably because I braised the potato in cider and caramelized it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted potato bread but this looks so much better. Thanks a lot for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these and they turned out like hockey pucks, so I didn't even post them! Haha! I haven't made the torte yet, either, but the reviews are fantastic so I'm dying to make it now!

    Gorgeous job on these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your sweet potato biscuits look fantastic! Mine didn't rise half as high as yours did - what's your secret? =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never met a biscuit I didn't like. I've never had a sweet potato one and the way you described this one has me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis