Sunday, January 10, 2010

Crisp Rosemary Flatbread


We've been having quite the cold snap in Asheville - I don't ever remember it being this cold here for this long. When it's cold, the only thing I want is soup. My mom made a lot of soup when I was growing up, so it is definitely a comfort food for me. Since I made a big pot of black-eyed pea soup for lunch today, it seemed the perfect opportunity to make some flatbread that I had been wanting to try out. I first saw it on Smitten Kitchen, and was reminded of it on Tracey's blog just a couple of days ago.

This flatbread is so delicious and easy to make, there is really no need to buy crackers ever again! I mean it. The flatbread is crispy and flaky, and very flavorful from the rosemary. It can hold its own against soup, cheese, hummus and all kinds of other toppings. You could use any herb to flavor it with, so it can pair with any cuisine. You could even use spices - I think cumin would be divine - or sesame seeds, heck, dried figs or other fruits would also be wonderful! It is so easy and comes together so quickly, you can whip it up even at the very last minute, making this recipe a must-have in your arsenal.


Crisp Rosemary Flatbread
adapted from Gourmet, July 2008, via Smitten Kitchen

1 3/4 cups unbleached white flour
2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 scant teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup olive oil
coarse sea salt

Preheat oven to 450, and place a baking sheet - I use a baking stone - on the middle rack. Stir together flour, rosemary, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Add the water and olive oil, and using a wooden spoon or dough whisk, stir to incorporate. When the dough comes together, knead it 4 or 5 times. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces - about 5 oz each - and roll them out one at a time on a piece of parchment. Roll it out into very thin circle (no need to be perfect here), no more than 1/8". Lightly brush top of each round with additional olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt. Slip the dough parchment and all onto the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Repeat with remaining dough. Flatbread will keep in an airtight container for 2 days at room temperature.



Oh, and I should mention that I did make the chocolate piecrust for SMS, but I won't be able to post it until tomorrow, as once it was made there was no light left to shoot it in!

8 comments:

  1. Looks great...I did the thyme version and we all loved it. It was perfect with soup, as you say. Then today I made the rosemary version and it was perfect with another kind of soup. Flatbread and I are going to be a fairly regularly occuring team. Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it looks fantastic! This is such and easy and versatile recipe that I can't wait to try other herbs and spices. Sesame seeds are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flatbread looks fantastic Sarah. You and Tracey are really making me want to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made these yesterday with a Mediterranean spice. Really Good. Glad you and Tracey made them 'cause I would not have if not for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're all loving the flatbread! I guess we should thank Deb at SK for posting this one because I probably would never have found it over on Epicurious. Yours looks wonderful! Soup sounds perfect for this cold weather - it's one thing I don't make nearly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen. I really need to make it. It is calling my name. Yours looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so beautiful. Almost too good looking to eat. You make it look so easy. I do sandwiches on my blog, nothing serious, but lots of fun. I am now following you. Keri (a.k.a. Sam)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this flatbread as an appetizer for Father's Day. It is so easy and delicious! I served it with an herb ricotta spread, they were perfect together! Here's the recipe:

    Mix 1 cup ricotta cheese (homemade recommended) and 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream with hands or spoon until the ricotta has a nice soft spreadable texture (homemade ricotta may already have this consistency). Place in a serving bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons freshly chopped herbs (any combo, esp. rosemary, basil, thyme, oregano, etc.) and a little salt. Swirl once with a spoon (don't mix it) and drizzle again with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle again with salt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis