Thursday, April 29, 2010

TWD: Chockablock Cookies

I've always been a bit of a procrastinator. If there's something I'm not 100% excited about doing, I'll wait until the absolute last minute to do it. I actually baked and photographed these cookies on Tuesday. I loved the cookies, but wasn't thrilled with the photos so I've been dragging my heels on writing this post... Here goes...

This week's TWD treat is a delightful cookie with endless possiblilities for playing around! It is an oatmeal cookie with your choice of dried fruit and nuts, plus coconut and chocolate - though in the interest of feeding them to my children, I left the chocolate out. There's a first time for everything...

I used a combination of dates and pecans, which I just love together. Since I omitted the chocolate, I added a little extra of all of the other add-ins. Not surprisingly, I sweetened my cookies with palm sugar and an unbelievable local molasses. I also used all butter instead of part butter, part shortening.

These cookies are thick, soft, chewy, chock full of goodies and almost healthy enough to call breakfast! One of my favorite things about them is that the molasses is a very prominent flavor. It was a welcome surprise! I think using palm sugar as my second sweetener helped to highlight the molasses, as it is itself rather dark in flavor.

Thanks to Mary of Popsicles and Sandy Feet for choosing this wonderful cookie for us to bake! The recipe is on her blog.



7 comments:

  1. Your pics of the cookies are wonderful. Best ones I've seen.

    If I had left the fruit out I would have liked them better. Ya know, I didn't think of these as an oatmeal cookie. Hum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez....I don't know which is prettier, the cookies or the tray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also tried this recipe, with sliced almonds as the nut. I tried to photograph the cookies on a plate in my back yard and could not get a decent picture, what's with these cookies? I like your tray, it's lovely and the cookies look very appealing on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad these were a hit at your house Sarah! I didn't try any but my mom was a big fan. By the way, I think your pictures are lovely :) I love that platter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've been hearing a bit about palm sugar as of late. I really want to try it.

    yours look delicious and i want that green platter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a healthy cookie with so many great ingredients...using all butter was a good idea, and the molasses was a good addition.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis